You are hereURC School, Erode
URC School, Erode
EZ Vidya – Wipro Applying Thought in Schools
Drishti (Whole School Transformation Programme)
Background (2007-09) -
Drishti was originally an initiative to promote a ‘culture of thinking’ in URC Palaniammal Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Erode. The project was conceptualized and implemented by EZ Vidya and partly subsidized by Wipro Ltd. under the Wipro Applying Thought in School program.
Based on initial discussions and scope mutually arrived upon, the span of the project was planned from September 2007 to March 2009.
The project was periodically reviewed both in the presence of the school management and Wipro, and also subsequently a comprehensive review done at the end of the project in March 2009. While the stated objectives had been clearly achieved, and the general ‘thinking climate’ had been created to a satisfactory extent in the school, various factors (that shall be detailed below) lead to the natural extension of the initiative for 2 more academic years.
The Way Forward -
While accomplishments through the projects have been satisfactory, it was felt mutually by the school management, Wipro and EZ Vidya to extend the project for 2 academic years. Specifically, the focus in these two years would be on benchmarking academics, enabling sustainability of the various activities under the umbrella of the imitative and creating assets for the school to ensure the systemization of the initiative in its true spirit of continuous improvement.
Objectives 2009 – 11 -
- Document individual teacher knowledge & skills in order to create and sustain a ‘thinking classroom’
- Enrich teacher empowerment by focused intervention based on areas of improvement identified
- Ensure sustenance of Drishti by –
- Systemizing the various activities under the umbrella of Drishti
- Developing various process documents including R & R of key members
- Handholding the team in adhering to the process documents
- Create a continuous improvement model where all stakeholders constantly move towards betterment of the respective activities
- Communicate to the parents and the community at large in understanding the vision of the school, and specifically that of Drishti
- Exhibit the ‘thinking climate’ to the parents and thus create an awareness of the programme and its importance in the education process
- Create a vibrant atmosphere in the school that would include specific elements that cater to the physical ambience
- Handhold teachers in academic processes through workshops and discussions for one year, and planning a ‘weaning’ out process during the second year (AY 2010-11)
Drishti – Status as of October 2009 –
- The team is currently focusing on benchmarking of teaching learning practices. This is done through classroom participation and documentation of the same. This process shall provide inputs for forthcoming training and empowerment sessions
- Based on the success indicators that have been mutually identified, steering committees of teachers have been formed, each responsible for one indicator. These teams, assisted by EZ Vidya, shall work on their respective areas and ensure sustenance